CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Sticker Shock



So the day started out with the first doctor visit of the year for one of the boys. Last night, I came home to a toddler who appeared to have pink eye, so I drug the poor little guy out of bed first thing this a.m. and took him into the drop in doctor's office. We were in and out in 20 minutes with a diagnosis of double ear infection - I had no idea, honestly, he didn't have a fever and wasn't excessively cranky - and a Rx for antibiotics.

I decided to bring D. to my office with me and wait there for my husband to pick him up. My husband being a man, what should have been a half hour wait turned into an hour and a half and I was left trying to entertain my now fully awake and feeling feisty toddler with office supplies. I was able to keep him fairly occupied with an orange, some random pens and packing tape, but that could only last for so long.

****

Today is the day of sticker shock for me, I have decided. When I picked up the prescription, I discovered it was $70. With the new year, our deductible has been wiped clear, which is fine, but I guess I wasn't expecting that high of a price for an antibiotic. A few hours later, I made an appointment to get my hair done and what used to cost $150 is now closer to $190. I almost balked at that, but anyone who knows me knows there are two things in this world that I will not scrimp on - Best Foods Mayonnaise and my hair. (That would explain my borderline amazing coiff and fat ass)

The cherry on the cake of my day was going to the local sandwich shop and paying $9.00 for a turkey sandwich and chips that was only $7.00 a few short months ago. At the risk of aging myself, I do remember when the same sandwich and chips at the same shop was $3.00. It doesn't feel like that long ago, but I suppose it was. It is fresh roasted turkey, straight from the bird, but still. I decided I need to start making my lunch because I don't have the kind of disposable income that allows for $10+ lunches. Who am I kidding? I have 3 kids in daycare, I have no disposable income!

I wonder what other price increases await me today? Gas is still under $2.00 around here, which is shocking considering it was close to $5.00 during the summer.

New year, new prices? So far, 2009, I'm not liking the direction you are heading in.

1 comment:

Gina said...

The same thing happened to me last month...I picked up a new type of birth control and it was $25. I can't afford that every month so I called the doctor who told me to call my insurance company and find out what meds were in my price range. I couldn't believe how few I had to choose from. Your examples are outrageous. Hang in there...