CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, December 15, 2008

Sunday

So, the sickies have navigated to Sofia and Steve is gobbling Airbourne.

This may throw a wrench in all the holiday festivities planned this week, but that's ok. I was kind of feeling like there was a bit too much on the mommy plate anyway.

Despite the aforementioned sickies, it was a a low key weekend, full of rain, a few hail storms and lots of jumping in puddles - highlighted by a visit to our local library. This is beginning to become a Sunday staple, which I enjoy. Typically, there are no less than 20 people in the sad, outdated little coastal library. Yesterday, I was barely able to get a parking spot.

When we entered, I understood why. I heard some a plaintive wail & harpsichord emanating from the main section of the library. All the NPR loving locals were crowded in seats in rows of 10, clearly mesmerized by this other-wordly sound. Turns out - lucky us - we had stumbled across a visiting Gaelic trio. "Ireland-born singer and songwriter Mary XXX, a teacher and performer steeped in Gaelic musical tradition, brings plenty of that to XXX when she visits to perform “A Gaelic Christmas."

Don't get me wrong - I was raised by a Irish Catholic, working class, Scotch/Irish immigrant family. I appreciate Gaelic. I do. But when I'm just trying to pick out some Sesame Street DVD's and a few engaging books for my 3 year old, the shrill wailing was resonating like nails on the chalkboard. Suffice it to say the high pitchiness caused us to high tail it out of there.

That was "weally weird music, Mom," Said Sofia upon our exit. Touche, my little one, touche.

No comments: