CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Just a Little Vent about Mundane Stuff

I just realized another quirk this afternoon.

I like to bag my own groceries. Maybe it's my ever increasing age, but I have no patience for finding my ground beef, tampons and pasta pickups in the same bag. Or reach for my bags to find that they've filled every single heavy item in the same bag, enough to sprain my wrist when I attempt to carry it.

It is a HUGE pet peeve of mine that grocery checkers and baggers seem to have no concept of how to properly bag groceries. Maybe it's because my grandmother was a grocery checker and I like to fancy myself knowledeable on this subject (some claim to fame, I know), but I just don't understand why they don't have proper training in this area. Every time I go grocery shopping, I have to rearrange all of my items in their bags.

I am a control freak, I'll give you that. Still, I don't think it's too much to expect that refrigerated items go with refrigerated items, dry items with dry items, dairy together, heavy stuff at the bottom, frozen items together, soaps and cleansers separate from food - basic stuff here. Grocery bagging 101.

I tried putting my items on the conveyer in the "proper" order, hoping it would hint to them that I wanted it bagged in a certain order. Not so much. I've now just taken to bagging the groceries myself. I can tell some of the checkers don't like it so much, much like I don't like it when some of the clients we deal with want to micromanage the agents or the staff. I am not a perfectionist, by any stretch. Just a busy mom who can use every spare minute she can get - If jumping in and bagging myself means I can get home and unpack the items in 5 minutes instead of a 15 minute flurry of un-mixing up all the groceries, so be it!

3 comments:

Pam said...

I do that grouping on the conveyer too! You would think that they could get it right when I do all the work for them, but so many times they don't bother to put the stuff together. And at our local (sole) shopping place - Walmart - it is not designed so I can do the bagging. Hate it.

BagMomma said...

apparently we are long lost twins!

really. this is one of the things that DRIVES me crazy and makes me HATE to shop. I've evem been guilty of dismissing the bagger to another line because of my issues. It's really bad.

Oh, and I should add that I also get insanely mad when the checker sends items down the belt too fast. God help them if they crush my lettuce or bread.

Yep, I need help.

Amy said...

I hear ya! My meltdown came when a bagger accidentally popped open a carton of blueberries that spilled all over the inside of one of my bags. He started scooping them up! I get that he was trying to fix it, but all I could think was, "BLEH! Your hands are all over our food! When did you last wash them?!" I said something along those lines, hopefully a bit nicer and leaving out the whole handwashing query, and took over the Blueberry Recovery Operation myself. FWIW, I am a grouper also.

However, I'm happy to say that our local grocery store just started SELF CHECK-OUT. It rocks! :-)