CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Dessert & Wine Round Table



Last night was divine. My neighbor H. (mom of kids aged 6,5,3 and 1) invited me to attend a local workshop at our library and who am I to pass up an opportunity to get out of the house.

There were about seven of us women, all of us having at least 2 children age 6 and under. We attended the "Positive Discipline" class at the library and then hightailed it over to our local downtown Italian restaurant for dessert and wine.

We sat at a round table, a la "This Week" and all took turns exchanging experiences, anecdotes, advice and laughter. It was so awesome, I think all of us felt a collective bonding occurring and we are going to try and make it a monthly event.

Photobucket

6 comments:

Gina said...

Ohhhh...sounds divine! I am jealous. Did you get any tidbits to share from the Positive Discipline class??

Momlissa said...

Resiliency and islands of competance. :) The most resilient children have islands of competancy, meaning they have things or areas they excel at. This really hit home with me as I grew up in a less than stellar household, but always had my own island of resiliency and was encouraged in that area. It was like a light bulb went on over my head. Letting the child make choices, take chances and build self esteem are the key to positive discipline. I've decided Sofia needs a responsibility/chore chart - she's definitely ready.

Momlissa said...

I mean to say I had an island of competance! lol

The Girl Next Door said...

Sounds awesome - even better if it works! My best attempt at positive discipline was something like, "I'm positive I'm going to beat your butt if you do that...." Patience? Doesn't live here, sorry.

Momlissa said...

Patience and positivity are something that I struggle with on a daily basis. I sort of take what the "school of thought" offers and mix it in with other schools of thought and come up with my own parenting style. It's not always perfect, but usually reflective, with a conscious effort not to repeat the cycle of how I was raised. I do my best, that's all I can do.

MommyAmy said...

Sounds like you had a great time! I always feel SO much better after a chance to get out of the house sans kids! And going to a class w/ other ladies sounds totally rejuvenating!