CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Conversations with Sofia -- Disneyland Dreams & Cat Dissing

On Wednesdays, Sofia commutes in with me as I drop her off at pre-school. These drives have been fertile ground for lots of interesting conversations, to say the least.

She has no idea that her birthday present (and mine) is a 2-day Mommy & Sofia trip to Disneyland. We have annual passes, the flight was free for Sofia and I get the cost of a park ticket refunded to me as it’s my birthday. Also, this non-refundable package was purchased before my husband’s change in employment status. Oops, oh well. Non-refundable.

I have been trying to think of a way to surprise her with the trip as a present at her birthday party in April. Yesterday, I bought an Ariel bathing suit at Costco. I thought it would be cute to give her the bathing suit as a present and somehow tie it in with telling her she’ll be wearing the suit at Disneyland...Not sure how to connect the two in a way her 4 yr old mind can grasp, so everyone in the blogisphere, I’m so open to suggestions!

This morning, she tells me she had a dream that she was swimming at Disneyland and would really, really, like to go swimming at Disneyland. I almost fell over. She announced that she would like to “Go live at Disneyland for a few days.” We might be able to arrange that, I secretly laughed. (I honestly don’t think she has overheard anything.) Of course, she also dreamt that her best friend was there with us, which has been the case in the past, but won’t be for the upcoming trip, so hopefully that won’t be a huge expectation/disappointment for her.

On other topics…Sofia told me she wanted to go to the pet store and buy a dog.

I told her we have CATS, not dogs, but maybe some day.

She told me she likes dogs better than cats and when our cats “go away,” can we get a dog?

Aside from the fact that she is wishing for our cats' demise, I had to laugh. I know she doesn't really want them to go away, but wants to have a whole menagerie of pets. As much as I love dogs (and I do love them, but love cats a little more), I assured her we would not be getting a dog anytime soon. In all seriousness, tending to a dog would be the final crack that breaks me.

Photobucket

4 comments:

MommyAmy said...

I'm right with ya. We have 2 dogs but there are MANY days when I wish we didn't have pets at all.

trisha said...

I have a 5 year old daughter and 2 year old boy/girl twins.
We did the same thing for my daughter's 4th birthday! We didn't tell her ahead of time, just surprised her when we got there. She had the best time, we also have passes, (we only live about 30 minutes from Disneyland) but we stayed the 2 days at the Disneyland Hotel. We had arranged for with their grandmother to watch our twins while we were away. Aside from the fact that our daycare called us on the first day while we were eating lunch at Ariel's Grotto, informing us to come pick up one of twins because she had pink-eye, and grandma refusing to watch a child with pink eye, we decided to keep the vacation going and since we live so close, my husband dashed over to pick her up and we let her join the birthday vacation. (Really we had no choice!) All in all it was great and we plan on doing it again, but with all 3 kids!

Gina said...

Could you get a picture of the pool at Disney...perhaps with a few others too? Maybe that would be a cool way to tell her.

Viv said...

I have two dogs and two cats. The dogs were just adopted in November when I lost my Chi of many years. They are just like children. The dogs fight for my attention right along with my kids. It isn't uncommon for there to be two dogs, a two year old, and a cat all trying to climb up my legs into my lap at the same time.

Not to mention the guilt I have about the way the dogs have 'taken over' the house and boss around my cats. One of my cats is the love of my life (sorry kids/hubby) and I really hate the way they chase him out of my room at night.

You are probably making a very wise choice.