CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, September 5, 2008

George's Mom


It seems everywhere I look this week, I am bombarded with the debate regarding mothers who work outside of the home. The announcement of Sarah Palin for Vice President has brought this topic to the forefront and overall, I think it's a good thing, but it's certainly bringing to light many people's true feelings about the subject. I'm still not sure how I feel about a woman with a newborn running for Vice President, but that's another topic for another day. I admire her ambition and the strong stands she has taken on the issues, she has definitely put her money where her mouth is - I'll give her that - but all I could think while watching her the other night (over my husband's exclamations of "Yes! Yes!") was "Snarky, much?" Oh yeah - and "She really, really looks like Tina Fey!"

I realize that I have the best of both worlds, working 3.5 days per week and marvel at how anyone could possibly work full time with 3 small children. For the average family, the daycare costs alone would be astronomical (at least in this area) and definitely prohibitive. As it is, with family watching my children, 75% of my salary goes to daycare. I wish this were not the case, but as the carrier of the family health insurance, I'm a little gun-shy of making any changes. We had 5 hospitalizations last year and with 3 kids, my chronic asthma and a nearing-50 husband, I never know what is waiting for me around the bend. (Gotta love that Doom and Gloom thinking, thanks to my upbringing) So I continue to work.

Would I rather be home full time? I think so. When I only had Sofia, I think I would have said Yes, no question. Staying home with 3 small kids full time? I'm not so sure I'm cut out for that. (I can hear Dr. Laura's voice, finger wagging, "You shouldn't have had all those kids, then!" I know, I know) I like to come to work, feel smart, get dolled up and feel useful, even if it's only my false perception of reality. Although my life is insanity only working half the week, every I pinch myself for being allowed the flexibility to work part time at a job that I like with people I truly love. I realize this is not the norm.

It dawned on me the other day that this is all Sofia knows.

We were driving to school and she was talking about Curious George. She said that George has a Daddy with a yellow hat. (I guess he does?) and Why Doesn't George Have a Mommy? I said I wasn't sure, but I'm sure he has a Mommy, everyone has a Mommy.

She paused, then said "Maybe his Mommy is at Work?"

I nearly drove off the road.

Maybe she is, sweet girl, maybe she is.

1 comment:

Heather & Chaos said...

Oh I completely agree it is HARD working full time and having three kids (under three I might add!). Daycare costs are high and there is no way I would add a fourth to it. I have no idea how Palin does it. Something has to give - unfortunately. Whether it be at home, at work, or both. I know it does for me! So I'm on the fence.