CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, November 3, 2008

Close to Home

So today was very...odd.

Started the day hearing that one of the agents' kittens is at death's door. Very sad, but I suspected this might happen after he brought her in last week. She was tiny and listless and having tried unsuccessfully to nurse a tiny kitten to health in the past, I didn't get a good feeling about it.

Then, I heard that someone I used to work with (she's in another office now) who has been going through a nasty divorce the past 4 years just found out that she has to pay alimony to her deadbeat husband. He has two DUI's and is bartending after losing his very stable job a few years ago. This woman is barely able to make ends meet living on her own with 2 girls. It's unfathomable that the court would do something so cruel. She is, as you can imagine, beside herself and not really sure what she is going to do.

Next, my boss is summoned to our corporate office for an unexpected meeting. In this fragile economy, that's never good. So, most of the afternoon, my co-worker and I (who have been here 12 and 13 years, respectively) were on pins and needles waiting to hear what was happening.

My boss finally returned and let us know we were ok...for now. They are closing one of the office (there are 8) and shifting some staff around. I tried not to freak out too much, kept telling myself "Whatever is meant to be is meant to be" and I truly believe that. Still, this is all very disconcerting and hitting close to home.

No comments: