CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, August 9, 2008

Butterfly poop

Interesting questions of the week...

From my nursing home bound elderly aunt who isn't sure what day it is, let alone twins who don't look alike. "Are they really twins?"

That was probably the oddest twin question I've had thrown at me. I was tempted to go into the minutae of monozygotic vs. dizygotic twins and then thought, if she doesn't think they're "really" twins, what does she think they are? A freak of nature? I recall when I was pregnant, she said something about my eggs and I suspect she has it in her head that they aren't actually from my eggs and somehow something got switched and we ended up with someone else's kid. She's 84 and I didn't have the energy to edumacate her so I just said "Well, yes, they are."

The second most interesting questions asked this week?

Driving tonight with Sofia...

"Mommy???? Do butterflies poop?"

I wasn't quite sure how to answer that question. Being the nerd that I am, I had to google it and yes - in case anyone was wondering - Butterflies do poop.

Butterflies, like all insects, digest their food inside a tube (called the alimentary canal) that runs from mouth to anus. To eat, a butterfly uncoils its long snout (proboscis) and sucks in nectar. The food enters the alimentary canal, gets digested, its nutrients absorbed, and waste excreted


More than you ever wanted to know, no doubt.

1 comment:

Pam said...

Tee hee hee hee... butterfly poop. And now we know. What a good mom you are to go to all that trouble to find out. Still giggling over here.