CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Daycare

So, I don't think I've ever mentioned my daycare situation here. My 3 year old is in preschool 2-3 days a week and my twins are cared for by my sister in law. It would seem to be the perfect situation in that family is my day care provider, but honestly, it's far from perfect. She is located about a half hour away, so this involves my husband driving the twins there and picking them up 3-4 times a week. It is a royal pain in the butt and I'm incredibly thankful that he takes this on himself as his job in sales allows him the flexibility to do it, mine doesn't.

As imperfect as the set up is, I really don't have an alternative as the cost of 3 children in (non family) daycare would make it prohibitive for me to work at all. As it is, 75% of my salary goes to daycare costs. It's not that we need the 25% that's left that much. I mean, we do, but probably could make do without, it's the fact that my employer is providing great medical coverage for myself and the kids that I stay. We had 5 hospitalizations last year (between myself and the kids) and are visiting some sort of doctor every other week or so (no exaggeration), so top notch medical insurance is definitely a huge priority for us.

My husband has Kaiser through his job and it looks like they are going to allow him to add us to his coverage, if we want. I am so torn on this issue as it gives someone else the control of our medical. What if he loses his job? Then what? Still, I think at a certain point I am going to have to take a leap of faith as being covered by his plan might enable me to stay home with the kids or at the least cut my days to 2 or 3 days per week. I work 3.5 days now and it's hard. I think 3 days might be just the right balance. We.shall.see.

No comments: